The weather made me do it

Poetry Pages members' lounge. Any topic welcome within propriety guidelines.

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway

preston
Forever Silent Friend

The weather made me do it

Post by preston » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:42 am

Buffalo, NY holds the record for most dogs killed by police officers.

http://www.wgrz.com/story/news/local/bu ... /19012631/

Weather induced caninicide ?

~

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Re: The weather made me do it

Post by bags123 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:25 am

Always wondered why they called it Buffalo. Were there ever any Buffalo in NY? Where'd they go?
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan
Your brain is like an umbrella. It only works when it's open- Someone Smart

Poet of the Month
March 2011

Bruno
MAXIMUS LUDICROUS

Post by Bruno » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:16 pm

The cop who shot 26 dogs and obviously likes doing it should be torn apart by a pack. If I had my way, that's exactly what I'd arrange. Spray him with blood and throw him in a pit.

preston
Forever Silent Friend

Post by preston » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:33 pm

bags123 wrote:Always wondered why they called it Buffalo. Were there ever any Buffalo in NY? Where'd they go?
Perhaps our resident Buffalonian can illumine us.eh?

:computer:

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:35 pm

Similar to the naming of Canada from what I understand. When Cartier the explorer first pointed to some log huts and asked the locals what is this called, they replied 'kanata' meaning village. The bozos thought that was the name of that part of country and it's been called that since.

Apparently the native chief who was more familiar with French than English due to early trading with Voyageurs called the Buffalo river Belle Fleuve which to English ears sounded like Buffalo and that is what it was called from that day forward.

The English were particularly arrogant about language and if they couldn't pronounce your name when you immigrated they simply gave you one and you were stuck with it. This was true right up to the 1940's as many people will verify.

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:12 am

Well I guess I must be the resident Buffalonian since I live in a suburb of Buffalo, Clarence Center NY. I had not heard of this disgusting record and ET's explanation of how the city got its name is right on. Our dog of 16 years passed away 5 years ago and Hershey has a decorated grave on our property. A pine tree was planted on that site and she has nourished it and assisted in it becoming a very beautiful and healthy tree. We have 6 dogs in the family now that we consider to be our grandchildren. We just finished watching two of them while our Son took a three week vacation, it was hard for us when he picked them up and returned to Cleveland. When our daughter vacations they bring the Dogs up to us from, So. Carolina. In our family Dogs are treated as members of the family. They don't go to kennels they come to Grandma and Grandpas. Now to get to the story of dogs being shot in Buffalo. A state trooper came to the house years ago while I was away. Lucy was home alone and called them because a group of rowdy hunters were across the street in the farmers field hunting geese. Hershey was very protective of her and when the officer arrived at the front door Hershey had a fit. Lucy told me the story of how the trooper requested that she put the dog in another room before opening the door. The NYS Trooper told Lucy that it was mandatory policy that if he encountered a dog that threatened him. He was to shoot it instead of being injured and going on disability. I'm told that many drug dealers and gangs in the area use Dogs as a security force. I'm sure that they are not as polite as Lucy was to remove Hershey from what the officer felt was a threat to him. I have not yet read the WGRZ piece but guess that the Dogs being shot by the Police fit the scenario that I just laid out. The dogs are sacrificed by their owners as a means to elude the officers. The breeds used are often the obvious bad asses Pit Bulls etc. I guess if a trained to be nasty breed is about to attack and you have a gun and the policy is to shoot before getting bit and put on disability. I guess you shoot pure and simple and the fault lies with the scumbag who used the dog to protect his or her illegal enterprise. Now I'm going to read the article. Take Care
Take me back, so far back, adjust this fate. Afeared lately of pen, in abscence of light. The fear I might stumble upon a plagiarized soul. Wipe this dark slate clean, regain my thought. Add the words that rekindle my depth of soul.

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:25 am

Now that I read the articles on the subject I think I got it right. I also think our Police force is in need of the training program. Take Care
Take me back, so far back, adjust this fate. Afeared lately of pen, in abscence of light. The fear I might stumble upon a plagiarized soul. Wipe this dark slate clean, regain my thought. Add the words that rekindle my depth of soul.

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

preston
Forever Silent Friend

Post by preston » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:56 pm

MJPease wrote:Now that I read the articles on the subject I think I got it right. I also think our Police force is in need of the training program. Take Care
Whether it's shooting pets or people, the police are already doing what they're trained to do.
That should be obvious when you look at the standard defense of just doing my job or just following orders ...
read: "I was just doing what they trained me to do".
Which is not a legitimate justification for the kind of thuggery that has become so commonplace in interactions between the bullies with badges and the rest of us.

~

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011

Post by LadySaturn » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:15 pm

So how's the whole Jade Helm training going on in your state, Texan? :hello:

preston
Forever Silent Friend

Post by preston » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:46 am

LadySaturn wrote:So how's the whole Jade Helm training going on in your state, Texan? :hello:
I think I saw a couple of Seabees trying to blend in with the local civilian population.
Looked like something right outa the Black Sheep Squadron.

~

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:04 am

Hello, Jade Helm, Scary part of this military exercise is the thought of insurgents posing such a serious threat to our nation. I don't believe the entire premise that this exercise is based solely on an enemy insurgency. I think it's probably based more on what we are seeing in the news each day domestic social unrest. As per Ferguson and Baltimore. There's chatter out and about that the dollar as legal tender is about to become worthless. Savings and retirement accounts could possibly vanish with a blink of an eye. I don't buy into all of this prophet of doom nonsense. Things like Jade Helm just add to the possibility that shit like this is definitely possible. If something this bad took place all hell would break loose. Take Care

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

Return to “Open Discussions and Members' Messages”