Dead of Night

A place to enjoy the interactive sport of Roleplay exercises, post your prose, short stories, story poems, prose poems and epics. This forum does not autoprune

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway, moonflower

thief of dreams
surrounded by shadows

Dead of Night

Post by thief of dreams » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:20 pm

I sat alone in the dark, in an abandoned house I had crept into right after the last rays of sunlight had sank like teardrops from the skies. I huddled with my jacket, sitting on the floor with my back against a wall next to the window, waiting for the night to pass. Distant lightning would occasionally pulse through the closed blinds, making the shadows dance around me. I kept waiting for one to illuminate a demon, inches from my face, but it never did.

When I felt confident that no one or nothing saw me enter, and there were no other occupants, I slowly leaned forward to look out of a hole in the blinds. The night was pitch black, like the entrance to a coal mine. No electricity flowed any longer, and tonight even the moon was fearful of making an appearance. There was nothing but blackness on the other side of the glass, and it felt as if it was pushing to get inside.

A flicker of lightning flashed across the glass and startled me. I caught a quick glimpse of the houses across the street, the dead in the street, and a demon on the sidewalk. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and watched the fogged glass disappear as the lightning strike trailed off.

Was it looking at me? Could it somehow see in the dark? Was it making it's way towards me in the blackness out there right now?

My pulse quickened as the hair on the back of my neck started to stand and I strained to see anything outside. I could imagine the next flash coming and being eye to eye with the demon, a pane of glass separating us, the hatred and hunger of it steaming up the glass right before it sank it's talon like claws through the wood siding and grabbing me. I've seen them shred car doors like paper, so I knew there was no real place to hide once they saw you.

A new flash of lightning danced in the distance and I saw it then, unmoved from where it was before, but now it stood on it's back legs, nose high in the air, as if searching for my scent.
As the darkness rushed back in to claim the night I lost sight of it and everything else once again. I waited for the next glimpse.

I didn't have to wait long, as a series of lightning strikes lit up the sky. The demon dropped to all fours and strode into the street slowly, carefully. It was not headed towards me, so I rested a little easier, but I was still hypnotized by it. How gracefully they moved, even more perfect a predator than any cat I had ever seen on television or in a magazine. When you saw one it was like seeing a black widow spider, you didn't see any real reason for it's being other than to kill. It was almost beautiful if it hadn't been so utterly terrifying.

I turned from the window and took a deep breath that quickly turned into a yawn of exhaustion. As I wiped the tears from my eyes and prepared to give in to sleep, another flash of lightning came. I caught my first real glimpse of the inside of the living room. I also saw the golden reflection of a demons eyes on the bottom steps of the stairs. The lightning couldn't have lasted very long, but it was long enough that I watched the claws dig gouges in the wooden banister as it sprang from it's perch. I lost sight of the eyes as the mouth opened to reveal jaws full of razor sharp teeth as they came rushing towards me. I wonder sometimes if I would have screamed if given enough time. I like to think not, but you never know. All I had time to do was react.

As I sit here now, I wonder if they know of me, if they talk of me in some demon tongue. I don't know, but one thing is for sure, they aren't the only monsters here anymore.
"Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler."
Friedrich Nietzsche

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011

Re: Dead of Night

Post by LadySaturn » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:45 pm

:shock: :shock: Wow :shock: :shock:

Return to “Prose, Stories, Roleplays, Story Poems and Epics”