Western NY Weather

Poetry Pages members' lounge. Any topic welcome within propriety guidelines.

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Western NY Weather

Post by MJPease » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:18 am

As you will hear by the end of this day we are in the middle of a unique lake effect snow storm. Some areas already have 40-60" of snow on the ground. This storm is only 50 % complete. With another one coming right behind it. Then by the weekend 60 degree temperatures are in store, to create flooding. People are trapped in cars on the thruway etc. Erie County is in a state of emergency. Take Care
Take me back, so far back, adjust this fate. Afeared lately of pen, in abscence of light. The fear I might stumble upon a plagiarized soul. Wipe this dark slate clean, regain my thought. Add the words that rekindle my depth of soul.

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Re: Western NY Weather

Post by Eternum 1 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:06 am

Stay warm and safe Mike; it looks pretty nasty in your neck of the woods. :cool:

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:47 am

This one is for the record books. The story is still being written my friends. Five lives lost many still stranded 24 more inches of the bad ass white stuff is still to come, starting this evening 11:00 pm 2"-3" per hr with complete white outs. We know snow and it is tough situations like this that has made Buffalo known as the "City of Good Neighbors". The National Guard is here, help is coming in from all over NY state. Take Care
Take me back, so far back, adjust this fate. Afeared lately of pen, in abscence of light. The fear I might stumble upon a plagiarized soul. Wipe this dark slate clean, regain my thought. Add the words that rekindle my depth of soul.

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011

Post by LadySaturn » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:38 pm

Don't worry Mikey. If you get stranded I'll come dig you out. Lord knows I have to dig out in my neck of the woods too. I'll just make a tunnel. :hello:

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:41 am

A tunnel to where my dear? There is no place to go. The NFL is applying pressure to make sure the game gets played on Sunday. The stadium has 220 tons of snow that needs to be removed from the inside by hand. They are offering 10.00 an hour + free tickets to the game for shovelers. Here's the rub the roads are still closed it's still snowing another possible 2-3 feet. Erie county is in a state of emergency roofs are collapsing, 8 people have died people are still trapped in their homes. The county executive was just quoted as saying "If the NFL is pushing for this game to be played while we are in a state of emergency and then shame on them". The NFL does not need any more black eyes this season. Instead of putting the call out to shovel out the stadium at 10.00 an hour how about putting the effort into helping the seniors in the nursing homes since their flat roofs with 7 ft of snow on them are about to cave in.

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011

Post by LadySaturn » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:53 pm

I heard about that. Huh you would think the NFL would wise up after all the bad p.r they've been receiving. I guess not. :shrug:

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:31 am

You may require a zodiac or a keel bottomed boat when all that lake effects snow melts. I know this is a weather event but I can't help but notice how severe and frequent these record storms are happening along with climate change. Call it what you will; the shit is hitting the fan and the politicians are still trying to sell bicycles to fish.

Hope you are stocked with food and other necessities to get through this rough patch. I little hot toddy wouldn't hurt either. :hello:

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:14 am

Well we are pretty much recovered from Mother natures knock down drag down bought with Bad ass Frosty and getting ready for some Turkey day festivities. A couple of the wakes and funerals are taking place today a very sad reminder of the 13 lives lost during the storm. Other than the loss of life everything else can be put back together. The scary thing is we are still about a month away from winter. Take Care

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

Moushka
Blue Sea Poet
Tag line: Trusting God

Post by Moushka » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:12 pm

Up here in Anchorage, we still only have 2-3 inches of ground cover. Mixed rain and snow today and tomorrow. I just got off the bus, and we were talking about your neck of the woods even now after the fact. It takes a village. :thewave:
Stuck on Number 2. Learning to begin.
1.Believe 2.Belong 3.Become
1.Awareness 2.Acceptance 3.Action

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:36 am

Things have returned to normal December weather around here. California is getting beat up pretty bad especially in Heinzs neck of the woods. I actually think that all of that rain, mudslides and previous wildfires are worse than any 7 ft. snowstorm that we could get in our neck of the woods. It's of course all up to each individual and how they are effected and recover. Some folks here lost everything and are literally getting screwed by their insurance companies and others are sailing through the tragedy unscathed (like us) or getting all the help they need. The ones getting no help from insurance have to wait for help from FEMA if approved and special small business loans for the commercial properties. I kind of wonder how long FEMA will be able to keep up with mother natures wrath as she takes a toll on our country from one state to the next coast to coast. Weather or Not there Will be Weather and the Weather will be Extreme. Take Care

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

Return to “Open Discussions and Members' Messages”