Conspiracy buff?

Poetry Pages members' lounge. Any topic welcome within propriety guidelines.

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Conspiracy buff?

Post by bags123 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:39 am

I've always been a conspiracy buff. Aliens, Gov't coverups, lost civilizations, alternate historys, etc. the list goes on and on. Lately,...I've even considered that perhaps the conspiracies themselves, are just another conspiracy. That's the trouble,....I don't really know what to believe anymore. Certainly not the network "News". Whatever's going on out there has me concerned though. Why just the other night I was sitting there,... eating dinner with my wife,... watching CNN,...and I said " Why doesn't somebody do something"? Yeah,...I was mad too. Forget what it was about now,...but it made me get right up off my seat and hollar! I almost spilled my glass of Cabernet Sauvignon. :computer:
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan
Your brain is like an umbrella. It only works when it's open- Someone Smart

Poet of the Month
March 2011

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Re: Conspiracy buff?

Post by heinzs » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:30 am

The problem with paranoia is that sometimes the bastards actually ARE out to get you.
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:27 pm

Bruno
MAXIMUS LUDICROUS

Post by Bruno » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:06 pm

bags123 wrote:Why just the other night I was sitting there,... eating dinner with my wife,... watching CNN,...and I said " Why doesn't somebody do something"? Yeah,...I was mad too. Forget what it was about now,...but it made me get right up off my seat and hollar! I almost spilled my glass of Cabernet Sauvignon. :computer:
...probably something about all the poor people on the planet. It gets SO tiresome! Can't they just all eat cake and drink beer...with apologies to Marie Antoinette who never said any such thing.

preston
Forever Silent Friend

Post by preston » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:31 am

I was raised on conspiracy theories.
If you do a search on the term you'll see it acquired a derogatory meaning in the 1960's.
It was generally synonymous with "kook" ... later taking on an unpatriotic connotation.
The easiest way to impugn someone's credibility was to accuse them of being a conspiracy theorist.
This lets the accuser off the hook of having to defend their point of view.
Which got kind of boring after awhile.

Some of my favorites ...

When Kruschev was pounding his imaginary shoe on the table at the UN General Assembly in 1960, no one wanted to admit that the reason he put those missiles in Cuba was because he knew we had alien technology from that spaceship that crashed near Roswell, NM.

To really understand who killed JFK you have only to look at who had the most to lose and who had the most to gain.
The French had gotten their asses kicked twice by the Germans and now, after a failed attempt to re-establish themselves as a colonial power in Southeast Asia, they were getting their asses kicked again.
When Kennedy told them, no we're not interested in bailing you guys out a third time ... they offed him.
Or rather they had the military industrial complex off him ... the prize for which was they got to take over the war in Vietnam.

The Endless War meme didn't come till later ... but it can be traced back to the decision to assassinate President John F. Kennedy because he wouldn't get with the program.
Since then, every President has had his war.
And if you don't agree with his reasons, or question the truthfulness of his claims ... then you must be one of them conspiracy theorists.

The Beatles boycott of 1966 was a diversion to try and distract everyone from the growing anti-war movement.
The Satanic element was obvious in the photos and film clips of American teenagers gathered in the night as the flames from piles of burning Beatles records illuminated their antics.
Vinyl was so much fun !

More recently ...

The whole thing with the Hubble telescope and the out of focus mirror.
Gimme a break.
Like I'm supposed to believe that the smartest scientists and engineers in the world could design, build and launch it into space and not check the mirror.
That was obviously the Vatican and their centuries long conspiracy to return us to their pre-Galileo vision of reality with the earth at the center of the cosmos.

Our last presidential campaign was obviously a conspiracy to see how dumb we really were.
We're way past the lesser of two evils here.
This was the New World Order smacking us upside the head and us saying, "Thank you sir, may I have another ?"

The presidential debates were obviously a conspiracy to see whether 2 guys spouting misinformation could be passed off as a legitimate debate.
And we got a whole new cottage industry out of it.
Fact checking.
And fact checking of the fact checkers.

Obviuosly a conspiracy to control public discourse ... since no one will be able to proffer a personal opinion without someone shouting, "Show me your documentation !"

I'm currently trying to make the switch from conspiracy theorist to reality based observationalist.
Sticking with the observations, and sharing my interpretations only with those who interpret reality the same way I do.

:computer:

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:02 am

I'm currently trying to make the switch from conspiracy theorist to reality based observationalist.
Sticking with the observations, and sharing my interpretations only with those who interpret reality the same way I do.

At least there are two of us out there. :cheers: Lately though,...I'm beginning to see reality as a crutch. :mrgreen:
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan
Your brain is like an umbrella. It only works when it's open- Someone Smart

Poet of the Month
March 2011

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:10 am

I'm so fuc@#*g confused after this last mid term election. That I think I'm a "Conspiracy Theory" my brain is definitely out of sink with the rest of America both Republicans and Democrats I think I'm going to have become an Independent. :shrug:
Take me back, so far back, adjust this fate. Afeared lately of pen, in abscence of light. The fear I might stumble upon a plagiarized soul. Wipe this dark slate clean, regain my thought. Add the words that rekindle my depth of soul.

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

Return to “Open Discussions and Members' Messages”