Too D*** Quiet! (and other rantings)

Poetry Pages members' lounge. Any topic welcome within propriety guidelines.

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Too D*** Quiet! (and other rantings)

Post by heinzs » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:26 am

It's just too darn quiet here... there's more traffic over on Facebook than on the pages. I am saddened that I have had to lock down registrations because they are all overseas spam and even the few I make allowances for are either spam or never log in to post... :-(.

The PHPBB version we are running is loooong past outdated, but I do not have the computer expertise to run the upgrade, as doing so would negate many useful add-ons that Berlie had installed over time. If one of you out there listening quietly has computer confidence I would gladly make you an admin to do the upgrade, but with the dearth of activity it hardly seems worth the effort for anyone to do.

Pops
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

Nefertari
Queen of the Nile

Re: Too D*** Quiet! (and other rantings)

Post by Nefertari » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:59 pm

I agree...like a ghost town. Sad. :cry:
The Queen of ancient Egypt, fair and wise.

IT'S DUSTY IN HERE, CLEAN MY PYRAMID!

The Nile is rising...now I've got MUD!!

GoddessErika
In-a-Sense Lost

Post by GoddessErika » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:15 am

Oh sure... I come back and everyone shuts up... I see how it is. :shrug:
© Anarcha Erika Basta
Behind this pretty smile is a story you'll never understand.

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:34 am

GoddessErika wrote:Oh sure... I come back and everyone shuts up... I see how it is. :shrug:
I know what you mean, I stop paying attention to the news for a few weeks and that piss ant Putin invades the Ukraine. It's this whole instant gratification thing that using your army and FB offers people with higher levels of attention deficit disorder.

:soapbox:

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:24 am

Well I sure wish I had the brains to go along with the desire, but we all know that's not in the cards. :shrug:
Take me back, so far back, adjust this fate. Afeared lately of pen, in abscence of light. The fear I might stumble upon a plagiarized soul. Wipe this dark slate clean, regain my thought. Add the words that rekindle my depth of soul.

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

heinzs
The Fat Cat

Post by heinzs » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:02 pm

lol... they were quiet long before you came back, Erika.

:lol:

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:44 am

Well,...we had a nice run. Let's face it,....the world has changed in the last 12-13 years. PP has always been a haven for me. A place where I could say things I may not say anywhere else. And I agree with ET,....we're all about "instant gratification" now. That's why we've got "credit" pushed down our throats from a young age. Portrayed as a necessity (which it increasingly is) then tempting us to use it immediatly, to buy new rims for the car that we couldn't afford in the first place. It's the latest version of "the company store". When you have 1% of the populace that controls 80+% of the wealth generated by the country,.....something's dramatically wrong IMHO. Our technology is outpacing the general population's understanding, or absorbtion of it. It requires fewer and fewer employees to run a factory today, than it did 40 years ago, and cheaper still if that factory is in China where they can operate it regulation free, without unions to protect their workers, not having to pay benefits to people who are paid pennies on the dollar compared to an American worker. The inevitable end of free market capitalism,
as we know it seems to be on the horizon. Just what will replace it is hard to imagine at this point. We're a very self destructive species,...so I'm not holding out much hope for return to Eden anytime soon. Maybe eventually though. Stranger things have happened. :cheers:
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan
Your brain is like an umbrella. It only works when it's open- Someone Smart

Poet of the Month
March 2011

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:19 am

I agree strange things do and indeed have happened. This control of wealth sinks deep with in my thought process these days. Almost to the point of being unhealthy particularly to the health of the average working class family. I see very little incentive to improve the inefficient, mediocre and unsafe delivery of healthcare in our nations hospitals. The CEO's of these institutions are making millions and bail with golden parachutes when the going gets tough or the mega reconstruction contracts etc.have all been divided up. There's much more to medicine than meets the eye. The most lucrative construction work out there is in the medical field, then comes education. More money is spent on building facilities for medicine and education than is dedicated to patients and students. Medicine and Education in the USA is big business. Neither of these business's focus or feel the need to rely on customer satisfaction. In fact Hospitals have 44,000 of their unhappy customers winding up unfortunately dead each year from stupid mistakes. (We'll fix that by doing another 20 million dollar renovation to ER, in order to do that we need to cut back on the nursing staff again :mrgreen: ). I was in a new Mega ER with my wife. The waiting room was packed even thou they had about 20/30 rooms for treating patients. They only had one triage nurse and a physician backed up with physicians assistants and a small nursing staff. The only beneficiaries from the construction of this new facility were the contractors and material suppliers. Patients have still and will continue to suffer as these greedy money hungry idiots misappropriate healthcare funds into unnecessary construction projects as opposed to patient care. Then again there's no benefit to the Baby Boomer population problem by making things better. :shrug:
Take me back, so far back, adjust this fate. Afeared lately of pen, in abscence of light. The fear I might stumble upon a plagiarized soul. Wipe this dark slate clean, regain my thought. Add the words that rekindle my depth of soul.

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011

Post by LadySaturn » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:42 pm

This always happens when the nicer weather breaks.. You know that Pops.. :shrug: Geez...And the Pages would be updated if Mama Berls would check both her emails and facebook messages. DAMN IT WOMAN! :soapbox: Anywho how is everyone finally enjoying the Spring weather. :hello:

Also I have a feeling that once everyone gets sick of the flashy social media and it goes kaput (Because it's only a matter of time) Folks will return to the pages. It's like home.. Once you leave you always want to come back. Especially if you're a broke college grad who has yet to find a job. :hello:

heinzs
The Fat Cat

Post by heinzs » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:22 pm

Well, I'm not going anywhere soon if I have anything to say about it. I'll leave here in an urn, when that time comes.... lol

Thanks "guys"... :hearts:

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:12 am

That goes for me too, I'm not going any where, they'll have to drag me out kicking and screaming and then try to grab the key board out of my cold dead hands while my lifeless body still types nonsensical gibberish into the Open Discussions and Members' Messages sections of the Pages as I passionately and relentlessly continue to search for my long lost Muse without the use of run on sentences. :shrug:

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

nekot
Poetry Piper

Post by nekot » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:35 pm

I'm a guilty quiet one on the pages. :oops: I do check in though.

If I had the computer savvy, I'd volunteer to help update the board function. But I'm ignorant.

Maybe I should write a poem (worth posting) some day.

:hugs:
~eloquently scattered~
nekot's tokens

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn

Post by LadySaturn » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:26 pm

:thewave:

frozentears
Seafoam Poet

Post by frozentears » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:52 pm

Sometimes, when I'm on Facebook, it saddens me...I think of the pp familiar, and how I used to sign in every morning and evening...always great reads and lots of feedback on posts... :hugs:
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? -Einstein

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn

Post by LadySaturn » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:45 pm

:hugs:

Return to “Open Discussions and Members' Messages”