HOME

Poetry Pages members' lounge. Any topic welcome within propriety guidelines.

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

HOME

Post by Eternum 1 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:55 pm

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011

Re: HOME

Post by LadySaturn » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:04 am

Give me a second to watch.. Have to do Saturn Radio first.

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011

Post by LadySaturn » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:49 am

Watched it and I liked it, E.T. and I rarely like anything. Definitely will have to tell others about it. :hello:

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:53 pm

:thumbsup:

Bruno
MAXIMUS LUDICROUS

Post by Bruno » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:58 am

I've known about this film for quite some time. Watching the aerials on a big screen is amazing. But it's also painful to watch, at least for me, thinking that this will only be a memory on film in the not too distant future.

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi Bruno, indeed the production values in this documentary are superb. I had the privilege of belonging to and raising funds for S.P.E.C. back in the sixties before a group of more radical members split off (including Paul Watson) to form Greenpeace. Progress in terms of halting the poisoning of our home has been lethargic at best and I am no longer optimistic that anything will substantially change before disaster strikes.

I have been truly fortunate to have travelled to various parts of the planet while their various eco-systems retained their unique but inter-linked patterns of life and the memory will haunt me for the rest of my days. I almost entirely blame Judeo-Christian hubris for the present dilemma. Instead of adapting to new environments following the indigenous populations obvious harmonious example; we brought inappropriate European clothing, ridiculous land clearing techniques (slash and burn), along with European superstition, prejudice and fear about the unknown and as a result warped every eco-system we entered in a parody of unsustainable European culture. This same mindless cultural paradigm exists today and will happily self suicide as long as the paradigm believes there is the most flimsy possibility of an after life determined by saying magic phrases in an attitude of sycophantic worship. Not the first species to bark nonsensically at a approaching maelstrom but the first to boastfully strut about while fouling it's own nest.

ET

Bruno
MAXIMUS LUDICROUS

Post by Bruno » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:58 pm

Hello ET, I agree with most of what you said especially in reference to being "no longer optimistic that anything will substantially change before disaster strikes". I have no doubt we're working toward that very scenario and that afterwards we''ll cry profusely looking for those to blame as in all revolutions which follow catastrophe only this one will be greater than all those hitherto recorded.

People hope that science will save them but nature can easily decimate any infrastructure created by science. I wonder how many are still of the naive opinion that the consequences of that slow but steady erosion can nevertheless be preempted through our own ingenuity. Since we live within our environment and not in any way external to it, what powers, even those presupposed in the future, could there be that nature can't level when it turns less than friendly? Humans have always "lived dangerously" but never to the the extent we do now.

The great injustice in all this is that ALL life is equally affected though man with his superior brain power, which forever runs short of controlling his avarice in all things, is the cause.

In cases like these it is always best to say that nature created us and not God for if it were the latter the question remains: What else did HE fu..up!

What really depresses me is that though I know I will never get to see those places as shown in these nature documentaries, it is nevertheless a great comfort to know it's there, active and abundant and then realize it won't be there for long though we may still be because we're as tenacious as a virus.

Return to “Open Discussions and Members' Messages”