Rescue Me From This Insanity

Poetry Pages members' lounge. Any topic welcome within propriety guidelines.

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Rescue Me From This Insanity

Post by MJPease » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:33 am

Rescue me from this insanity. US Postage Stamps put on hold probably will not be released and destroyed. They depict dangerous activities such as a young person doing a cannon ball into a pool and skate boarding. :shock: Blame it on the President :mrgreen:
Take me back, so far back, adjust this fate. Afeared lately of pen, in abscence of light. The fear I might stumble upon a plagiarized soul. Wipe this dark slate clean, regain my thought. Add the words that rekindle my depth of soul.

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Re: Rescue Me From This Insanity

Post by bags123 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:39 am

Cannonballs never hurt anyone. :mrgreen: Unless you land on someone's head.
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan
Your brain is like an umbrella. It only works when it's open- Someone Smart

Poet of the Month
March 2011

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:02 am

No wonder the post office is going broke. What's this blunder going to cost? How about the money the treasury just had printed and they now have to destroy? It seems like it's just one debacle after another these days. :shock:
Take me back, so far back, adjust this fate. Afeared lately of pen, in abscence of light. The fear I might stumble upon a plagiarized soul. Wipe this dark slate clean, regain my thought. Add the words that rekindle my depth of soul.

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

preston
Forever Silent Friend

Post by preston » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:39 am

The Post Office is going broke because Congress ordered them to prefund employee's health coverage for 75 years.

The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act ... is a prelude to privatization.

I suspect that withing the next couple of years our government will attempt to do what the UK did with the Royal Mail

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/1 ... 12230.html

:computer:

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:49 am

You are half right about the privatisation aspect but not about Obamacare . It was employee pensions that had ridiculous pre-funding levels set by congress. Here is the story on the post office from The Economist:
The year 2006 was the best ever for the USPS. Automated mail processing was significantly reducing costs, and productivity was at an all-time high. The Post Office wasn't designed to make a profit, but they were flush with cash, and Congress had dollar signs in its eyes. Legislation was passed requiring the Post Office to pre-fund employee retirement benefits for the next 75 years in a 10-year span, something no other company has to do. Money had to be set aside for retired employees who weren't even born yet. Those $5.5 billion annual payments went directly into the Treasury where Congress could spend it however it wanted. It was nothing more than a cash grab.

Unless the Bush Administration could forsee the passing of the ACA years later, it's not probable that health care was the offered excuse for the cash grab, although they really don't need a plausible reason....just someone else to take the fall.

I've watched the republican/tea party congress try to blame the current President for every republican screw up including the republican based health care act which was proposed by republicans as a alternative to Hillary Clintons single payer plan back in the day. The saying is true 'the republicans won't take yes for a answer'. Bumper sticker politics with a Wall St. version of the bible in one hand and a Confederate/ pro-slavery flag in the other. What a tragic comedy they have become.

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011

Post by LadySaturn » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:21 pm

bags123 wrote:Cannonballs never hurt anyone. :mrgreen: Unless you land on someone's head.
Actually I've seen that happen. Isn't pleasant to watch. :darn:

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011

Post by LadySaturn » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:28 pm

MJPease wrote:No wonder the post office is going broke. What's this blunder going to cost? How about the money the treasury just had printed and they now have to destroy? It seems like it's just one debacle after another these days. :shock:
Heard and it's b.s. Then again came across an article that says the Fed destroys around 5 million unfit currency notes each business day. Not a year but each business day within a year. Now that's some shit right there because you and I both know if that money was backed by gold they wouldn't be so damn quick on destroying it. I'm pretty sure if any of us were allowed in the vaults all we would find are IOU's or an entire empty vault all together. :hello:

http://youtu.be/tGk5ioEXlIM
http://youtu.be/iP9H5fADC0E

Return to “Open Discussions and Members' Messages”