Not yours to give

Poetry Pages members' lounge. Any topic welcome within propriety guidelines.

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway

Bruno
MAXIMUS LUDICROUS

Not yours to give

Post by Bruno » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:57 am

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Re: Not yours to give

Post by bags123 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:49 am

:cheers: Great story. I had a Davey Crockett coon skin hat when I was 5 or 6. :hello:
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan
Your brain is like an umbrella. It only works when it's open- Someone Smart

Poet of the Month
March 2011

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011

Post by LadySaturn » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:20 am

I got to fire a musket and pistol when I was ten. My class went on a trip to a park that reenacted the days of the 13 colonies. It was so cool. While the girls in my class got to learn how to make candles and what not, I was learning how to fire a musket and pistol with the boys. Also got to learn about the saber and cannons and basically how to battle in a war. That's right biatches I know how to use a musket. That's how I roll.

Oh, and I did get in trouble for playing with the saber but that's another "Moments in Saturn's Past" saved for another day. :hello:

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:27 am

No really,....I like Davey Crocket. The other night we had chicken Crockets. They were good. I had no idea Davey had any food named after him. Bear in mind though,...the principles he espoused so elegantly in the speech you've cited may have been appropriate in the time that it was given. Perhaps,...not as much in 21st century America,...with 300 million people, airplanes, superhighways coast to coast. We've got some severe problems with where the money's being spent,...and how it's being spent. I don't think even Mr Crocket could fix the political morass we're in now. The rats are leaving the ship. When that occurs usually something really bad's gonna happen. :soapbox:
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan
Your brain is like an umbrella. It only works when it's open- Someone Smart

Poet of the Month
March 2011

Bruno
MAXIMUS LUDICROUS

Post by Bruno » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:14 am

It was just interesting the arguments that were made and how it was described. The fact that there were principles involved which people took much more seriously then they ever would now. We barely think about what the limitations of governments should be. Whether or not one believes in the principles espoused by Mr. Bunce is not that important. It's the fact that he gave it very serious consideration which is due for any period in a country's history.

Of course things change. One can't have a government in place which rules as if it were still in the 19th century. But the way governments behave and are allowed to behave due to complacency would not have occurred if there were more members like Bunce who realized that though the function of government is to rule that they must also in turn be ruled by the citizenry which gives it it's mandate.

But that time is long passed...if it ever truly existed!

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011

Post by LadySaturn » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:23 am

"As soon as we abandon our own reason, and are content to rely upon authority, there is no end to our troubles."

-Bertrand Russell-

"Wherever the real power in a Government lies, there is the danger of oppression."

-James Madison-

Return to “Open Discussions and Members' Messages”