A Word from Heinzs

Our rules and posting guidelines. Read before posting.

Moderator: heinzs

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

A Word from Heinzs

Post by heinzs » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:25 pm

We have an enormously broad spectrum of "members" here at the Poetry Pages. Our ages range from under 13 to over 70. Culturally we represent almost every nationality and ethnic group in the world. Our "expertise" and experience levels in the art of poetry range from "this is the first poem I've ever written" to "I've been published in 30 books and magazines". Our egoes run the gauntlet from "please don't hurt me" to "gimme your worst, baby!" It is a difficult task to "please" any ONE of us, let alone a decently fair number... yet some manage to hang on as "regulars" despite the ups and downs. Others appear as a flash in the pan, then just as quickly (and without a word of farewell) vanish into the cyberspace from whence they came.

This lengthy preface is offered as an attempt to "explain" the seemingly sporadic way in which poems are critiqued or replied to. The Poetry Pages is a dynamic presentation. It is a "safe haven" compared to other "serious" poetry sites where struggling newbies are eaten for breakfast and spat out before they have a chance to catch their breath. Some of these sites require an "audition" before you are allowed to join the elite "inner circle". None of that here! Not now, not ever!

We post our poetry here because we know it will NOT be torn to bleeding shreds by the self-appointed hounds of poetic conformity. We are most grateful for a simple "I like this" or a smiley face, but accept that many times the gratification must come from the plain act of posting without any expectation of "reward".

And yet, we are only human after all, and in the absence of positive feedback (or any kind of feedback in lieu of positive) we tend to draw in our horns when we feel "ignored".

In an ideal world every poem would be read and re-read. Each reader would leave a volume of positive and useful feedback. Each poet would flourish and bask in the glory of the adulation of the multitude. It's not an ideal world. We can all only each do "our best". That will just have to be good enough for all.

I'd love to see more replies to poems... especially my own . I'd love to be able to give more replies... but I'm often overwhelmed at the volume of fantastic material posted in any 24 hour period, especially when I may only have 30 minutes to devote to the entire site that day. I have no choice, the same as each and every one else, but to "pick and choose" to comment in depth where my muse leads me to do so, and to try to at lease bump those poems with no replies by posting a smiley before they disappear off the bottom of the page. If everyone else would do the same then no poem would find its way to page 60 without any replies.

But I ramble...

Bottom line? Reply to as many poems a day as you are able. Try to pick them at random, but don't ignore your favorites. Don't post more than two new poems in any one forum before they have a chance to be read and replied to... the more you post, the fewer will be the responses. Once a week visit the "back pages" and bump ONE poem you find there that strikes you as having merit deserving of another chance before it is autopruned. Try to be understanding that we are ALL only human with all the frailties, opinions, shortcomings, talents etc. that that implies.

Cheers to all of you! And thanks for posting!

HeinzS
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Re: A Word from Heinzs

Post by heinzs » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:26 pm

I originally wrote this in 2004. It is no less meaningful today.
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

Return to “Forum Rules and Guidelines”