How do "you" create poetry?

Come on in to give and receive critique, suggestions or help with work in progress or finished pieces. Any format welcome.

Moderator: bags123

blood_dragonknight
Clearwater Poet

How do "you" create poetry?

Post by blood_dragonknight » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:14 pm

Sorry if this topic is covered elsewhere. I'm just curious to know how others come up with their poems. Me I can only write what I feel inside, thats why I don't concider myself a "poet". To me, poetry is an attempt to "word" emotions or feelings. I also write to "vent" negative emotions or feelings, since I have a really hard time expressing them in the "real" world. Which is why most of my "poems" are dark and gloomy, and loaded with hate and malice. I concider that a good thing, cause atleast I'm expressing it on just paper or type, instead of destroying others and making the world an even worse place.

I usually write in a 5x5 format, I've never taken a lesson on writting in my life. My reason for that is to simplify the process. Makes it easier for me to edit and correct grammerical mistakes, cause I know I can't spell worth a damn, lol, and to ensure that I'm making sense with the lines. I usually start a poem and finish it within about 5 minutes, I've never tried to just sit down and write. I take that back, I have tried to just write a poem, but failed epically everytime. If I don't feel it, I can't write it. I also do mine 5x5 to make em easier to read lol gives a good spacing inbetween the line of thought.

I share my works on this site mainly for just a couple reasons. First is because, I think they are crap, but that is only because the majority of them are depressive and evil lol, and who wants to feel like that lol. Second is because, I know that others have felt the ways I have felt, and I just want everybody to know that they aren't alone in feeling bad. Third is because, maybe I'm hoping someday, somebody will come along and show me how to make freakin money writing my crap, and I can get rich and not feel so crappy lmao.

So feel free to post on this, as I am truely curious to learn how others write. Who knows maybe we can all teach each other something bout this hobby of ours.
My strength is the goodness within my heart. My weakness.....just happens to be the same.

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Re: How do "you" create poetry?

Post by heinzs » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:20 pm

In most cases my poetry creates itself. I do not consciously endeavor to write a piece, unless it is for a challenge or a contest with a prompt, but even then I rely on my intuition to provide the material. Form, rhyme scheme, topic, etc. are all a random chance event for 90% of what I write. What I consider my "best" pieces come fully formed from pen to paper never to be edited or modified.

I think you need to make yourself aware of what seems to be marketable poetry these days and attempt to emulate or totally distance yourself from it. Either case the chances of making a financial killing off of poetry are slim to ethereal. Good luck on that score.

If you enjoy the writing, then write for the enjoyment. If you don't enjoy it... why bother? :lol:
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

LJAmara
Clearwater Poet
Tag line: Muddling through

Post by LJAmara » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:21 pm

Interesting subject, and one I haven't really given much thought to. Normally I have something on my mind and jot it down. I prefer haiku form because I find it very challenging to convey a clear, concise and whole thought in that form. It's mostly a mind exercise, I suppose. I share very few of my writings with others.

negatvone
Deranged Marshmallow; Leader of The Twin

Post by negatvone » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:02 am

Alrighty.... This is the way I do it:

I just let my fingers vent the moment. Rhyme and meter have no meaning when the first words script themselves. Then, the rest takes hold as I get pulled more into the "setting" of the prose. The only person you have to critique your work is You. You know exactly what you want to say, and only You know how it is supposed to turn out. If it's only 3 lines..... and it's good to you..... it is poetry.

Jim
Entering the sanctuary of my mind may lead to perils of unknown magnitude.......... hold on and embrace the ride. Feel the tolls as we pass from existance into my sought domain of twisted reality. -negatv: 5/05-

If I changed anything I have done in my life I wouldn't be me. Personally, I kinda like me. I'm an asshole, but I'm my kind of asshole.

Friends are what help me guide myself through life. I just have to find the right direction first. -negatv- 10/06

chancellor
Clearwater Poet
Tag line: SpawnOfTheRollingAbyss

Post by chancellor » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:50 pm

i tend to write fast and spontaneously and at the worst time. i could write and have writen better , but see no point to. if i were good at something it would just attract vultures and managers and relatives i haven't seen since birth. it would make everyone secretly hate me for my talent and fortune... my pets would get poisoned, i'd have microphones hidden inside my kamode, gangsters would want a cut of this and that , i'd end up on some animal tranquilizer and blah blah blah.

my poetry template

i'm upset about:_________________________________
i feel____
here's where they can go and what they can do:_______________________

fill this space with redundancy

the end

erase when you realize you're an embarrassment
Last edited by chancellor on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:18 am

Like anything else. I think most poets are born with an inate talent for this particular artform. It just comes naturally to them, in the same way that some people are just naturally talented in music, or sports, or business. That doesn't mean that we less talented people should never try to write poems, only that most poetry written by those blessed with this particular talent will usually be much better than someone scribbling emotional thoughts down, that they assume emulates the real thing. For themselves,...maybe it does,...and that's a good thing to release those demons/angels inside, or so they say. For me,
structure, meter, rhyme scheme, etc. force me to work within an accepted style which is a more formal than the current trend of prose/poetry. At this point I'm not sure I could identify the difference between a prose/poem, free verse, and just good prose. I can however easily identify something someone has written which incorporates the tools that poetry traditionally uses. It takes more time, and effort to work within a particular poetic form,...and perhaps allows the poet more time to use the structure to his advantage in communicating the deeper thoughts that poetry can convey, as opposed to the story line narrative of prose.
:2cents:
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan
Your brain is like an umbrella. It only works when it's open- Someone Smart

Poet of the Month
March 2011

partialpoet
Clearwater Poet

Post by partialpoet » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:15 am

I close my eyes and try to experience the subject again and again until I'm able to articulate it, or at least get my fingers moving. Whiskey and adagios help.

Meter, rhyme, and the aesthetics of the prose is an afterthought; insofar as I'm not concerned with those things initially.

Mightfall
Clearwater Poet

Post by Mightfall » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:35 pm

blood_dragonknight wrote:Sorry if this topic is covered elsewhere. I'm just curious to know how others come up with their poems. Me I can only write what I feel inside, thats why I don't concider myself a "poet". To me, poetry is an attempt to "word" emotions or feelings. I also write to "vent" negative emotions or feelings, since I have a really hard time expressing them in the "real" world. Which is why most of my "poems" are dark and gloomy, and loaded with hate and malice. I concider that a good thing, cause atleast I'm expressing it on just paper or type, instead of destroying others and making the world an even worse place.

I usually write in a 5x5 format, I've never taken a lesson on writting in my life. My reason for that is to simplify the process. Makes it easier for me to edit and correct grammerical mistakes, cause I know I can't spell worth a damn, lol, and to ensure that I'm making sense with the lines. I usually start a poem and finish it within about 5 minutes, I've never tried to just sit down and write. I take that back, I have tried to just write a poem, but failed epically everytime. If I don't feel it, I can't write it. I also do mine 5x5 to make em easier to read lol gives a good spacing inbetween the line of thought.

I share my works on this site mainly for just a couple reasons. First is because, I think they are crap, but that is only because the majority of them are depressive and evil lol, and who wants to feel like that lol. Second is because, I know that others have felt the ways I have felt, and I just want everybody to know that they aren't alone in feeling bad. Third is because, maybe I'm hoping someday, somebody will come along and show me how to make freakin money writing my crap, and I can get rich and not feel so crappy lmao.

So feel free to post on this, as I am truely curious to learn how others write. Who knows maybe we can all teach each other something bout this hobby of ours.

I listen to music.

Then it spits out. Sometimes I leave it and sometimes I repair it.

The poetry is rarely in sync with the music, the mood is not often a match... as long as the music effects me. I used to have to write not to go insane or cross the yellow line, but now I just listen to music and it still comes out.

I wrote for 10 years without reading any traditional poetry, then someone said you remind me of "poets name" and I looked it up and loved it. I still don't know anything about form, but I don't intend to try and say look what I did in this form. I also do really well when someone posts a challenge that doesn't have any classic poetry form requirement.
"You leapt into the abyss, but find, It only goes up to your knees"... Nick Cave

Return to “Workshop/Critiques Wanted”