TEN THOUSAND YEARS (complete)

Come on in to give and receive critique, suggestions or help with work in progress or finished pieces. Any format welcome.

Moderator: bags123

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Thu Mar 07, 2002 12:13 pm

TEN THOUSAND YEARS

Neolithic man found encased in ice
arrow pearced your heart, heard them say
why your life, the price you paid
did you die for your God
was it greed or some other need
whatever it was the message rings clear
not much has changed in ten thousand years

What the mind of man can conceive
he so can acheive, I've heard them say
a major deal, when the wheel came into play
great pyramids, chariots of the gods some say
stonehenge Merlins magical creation, maybe
we'll decode the human genome some day

We live longer, grow taller, shed the same tears
controlled atmosphere, and built the chip
ignored mother nature while on this trip
defied gravity, broke the speed of sound
split the atom, built great towns
built tall buildings, just to knock them down

Set foot on the moon for all humankind
that should give us some great peace of mind
astral travelers please help me to see
what the fuck is bothering me
what have we learned in ten thousand years
live longer, move faster, the same old fears

My religion? Your religion? Who is to blame?
great armies of the Romans, Saxons and Danes
they fought and died but never in vain
good against evil, it's Gods will they say
great warriors in battle again present day
when the smoke clears and the battle is done

MJPease 3/07/2002

The Earth The Son and The Moon
Last edited by MJPease on Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

deviouspuppet

Post by deviouspuppet » Thu Mar 07, 2002 12:20 pm

The fact that the world is not perfect has not changed...but that does not mean things are hopeless... [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Kada
Clearwater Poet

Post by Kada » Thu Mar 07, 2002 12:21 pm

cool....kinda hard to read in the form it's in but it sor of adds to the atmosphere of the poem..good work i'd say

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Thu Mar 07, 2002 12:36 pm

hello Deviouspuppet I didn't mean for this piece to imply a sense of hopelessness. Just that our reality of life is still the same after 10,000 yrs. Warriors still advance toward each other on the battle field and die for their own God or Country for what ever noble reason they might have
In the great battle of Good and Evil who will step up and declare that they are the evil one. I just wrote this as I posted it to the board and it probably needs a lot of work. Thanks for reading

triciabee
Clearwater Poet

Post by triciabee » Thu Mar 07, 2002 12:52 pm

how can we have come so far, yet changed so little over the centuries ? Michael I like what you're saying in this, it's incredible !!

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Thu Mar 07, 2002 9:10 pm

Hello Thanks for your comments and help I went back and made some changes to this,the rythem is changed, it may still need some more work. It was floating around in my head for a couple of days and came out pretty rough earlier today. I want to work this piece out start to finish on the site, kind of an experiment. Thanks [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Thu Mar 07, 2002 9:20 pm

Hi Mike,
Gotta get back to this tommorrow. Too tired to think straight right now. but, I will return.

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Fri Mar 08, 2002 11:01 pm

Michael,
If dogs and cats are still doing the same things they did 10,000 years ago, hunting, smelling their asses etc. I guess it's not hard to imagine humans falling into the same scheme of things. It is always ironic to me that the more things change, the more they remain the same. Excellent read. I think breaking it into some sort of stanza's would make it easier to read though. Just my two pence. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Sat Mar 09, 2002 8:58 am

Thanks Bags I'm putting the two pence in the bank along with my new found vocabulary. Oh yes my friend, I'm keeping a list, fecundity, Pantheistic, and so on. I will see what I can do about breaking it up a bit and as always Thanks [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Sun Mar 10, 2002 11:48 pm

Thanks to those that have read and replied. Final Changes Done. Oh and Bags, the Cats and Dogs, I understand their motivation in life. They weren't given the miraculous capabilities of putting a man on the moon. Although at times I think they do a better job paying attention to detail when it comes to rearing their young. I'm just Mad as Hell at the World right now, maniacs running around trying to blow up my planet. [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

deviouspuppet

Post by deviouspuppet » Mon Mar 11, 2002 10:51 am

I'm sorry, maybe I spoke too quickly. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] If things are still unchanged from two thousand years ago, the good is there along with the bad. I said this reads as hopelessness. That was simply my first quick reaction. Good writing.

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Thu May 09, 2002 7:50 am

Hello Deviouspupet, I some how missed your comment, your right it's not all hopeless. The world has ended in one way or another for every one that has come before us to this thing called life. For every day that we take breath there is hope. Thanks [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

moonflower
enchanted by the magic

Post by moonflower » Thu May 09, 2002 8:46 am

hi michael..its great to see you posting again!..welcome back..your poem is so great!..it leaves me with such a sense of sadness that mankind has grown sooo away from perfection instead of towards it..a person would think,after 10,000 years, that the race that has sent us to the moon and back,broken the speed of sound,invented the chip...and all the other things your poem says, could,by now, know how to feed its hungry, cure its sick,keep from blasting each other to bits over trivial things,keep peace, not political peace, but true peace among its own race..all of us, the race of humankind...its really true what your poem says..not much has changed in those respects, in 10,000 years..a sad state of affairs...sorry to blather on so long..i loved the poem and its very true message..thank you for sharing it ..

debab
baffling at the hint

Post by debab » Thu May 09, 2002 10:39 am

Hi Michael,
I missed your poetry and feedback, glad to see you! This poem was terrific, I saw scenes in my head like a time frame film clip, epic like.
They say that in the next millenium, human kind will embark on the next evolution and that it will be emotional. We are currently in the adolescent stage of the collective human state of consciousness and that we are evolving and learning expotentially. Hopefully this is true.
Again good read . Oh and was that the Ice Man of the Alps? Now there is anorher interesting story, eh?? The Italians and Austrians had a big battle over who would get the remains.But, the intresting part was the research and analysis that was conducted on the remains and all the conclusions they were able to come regarding the materials that were used in his weapons, the herbs he carried , the tatoos that wer estill present on his mummified skin, thepollen that was found imbedded in his remains, Fascinating stuff!! Later, deb [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-09-2002: Message edited by: debab ]</p>

Return to “Workshop/Critiques Wanted”