Jesus Loves Me

Forum for spiritual, inspirational and religiously oriented poetry and discussion.

Moderators: gordy, DarleneG

Forum rules
Forum for spiritual, inspirational and religiously oriented poetry and discussion.
Autoprune 12 months
audiofool
Blue Sea Poet

Jesus Loves Me

Post by audiofool » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:14 pm

I gave my heart to Jesus
yes, I love him the best I can
said I gave my heart to Jesus
ah, but he loves another man
there's no use in crying
the devil just don't understand

I gave up on praying
cos all I got was pain
I gave up on praying
these tears can't stop the rain
when you all get to heaven
give my regards to brother Cain

don't try to tell me
"believe and all will be well"
no, don't try to tell me
I'm on a charter bus to hell
your paradise is an illusion
your soul is but a broken, empty shell

I gave my heart to Jesus
yes, I love him through and through
I said I gave my heart to Jesus
what more can a sinner do?
what's the point in pretending?
God knows he loves you, too.

DarleneG
65 Roses
Tag line: Encourage One Another

Re: Jesus Loves Me

Post by DarleneG » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:52 pm

:hello: I can only speak for myself, but, to me, the poem is contradictory and confusing. The title is true, Jesus does love you. You say You love him. But it doesn't sound ike you do. Paradise is not an illusion. It's real for those who put their faith in Him and not satan. Your title may pull people in to read what you have written. But I see none, so far have left a comment. Their expectations were not met. Neither was mine. :roll:
"Poetry is what in a poem makes your toenails twinkle."----Dylan Thomas
**Member of the Month**
July 2012

poeticpiers reborn
Forever Silent Friend

Post by poeticpiers reborn » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:54 am

Interesting you have doubts,why should you not?
It is wise to check and recheck what you are taught.
It matters not which creed you are born to each one is biased in favour of what they have been taught.
Myths and legends abound but there is no real proof to be had. Jesus is usually depicted as a white blond caucasian which is highly unlikely
I have no doubts that he existed as a historical figure and that he was a remarkable man. But just one of a number of great teachers who tried to change the worlld.
Buddha, Mohammed etc.
I choose to think for myself and take responsibility for my own actions.
I was brought up as a christian a primitive methodist but even as a child I could see inconsistencies in what I was being taught. There are many versions of the bible.Obviously they cannot all be correct.The other holy books suffer in the same way mistranslations and simple errors.
I don't presume to know the truth but I am certain that most religions have lost their way and become organs of social control promising paradise to compensate for suffering in this life. Even the ideas of paradise are varied according to whatever sect is making the promises.

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Post by heinzs » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:16 am

God's love is unconditional, despite what contradictory versions of "Scripture" may say. He equally loves the "sinner" and the "saint". In the end we shall all stand before the same podium where the contradictions will be resolved and the actual truth revealed.

:hello:
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

DarleneG
65 Roses

Post by DarleneG » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:38 am

Jesus loves the sinner, but hates the sin. And since we are all sinners, that's why we turn to God and repent and try to do better. Don't all faiths practice that in one form or another? :hello:
**Member of the Month**
July 2012

audiofool
Blue Sea Poet

Post by audiofool » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:24 am

Thanks for the replies.

This is a poem, not a statement of belief. If I'm saying anything, perhaps I'm challenging myself to stop seeing God as a cosmic ATM, obligated to answer my every demand in the affirmative. A little less belief in magic and more honest communication with (and about) Jesus as a real person. It should be noted, if we read our bibles (Ecclesiastes, Job, Lamentations) we find moments of struggle, doubt, and confusion among otherwise pious persons.

I am a person, a Christian, who experiences difficulties and challenges in life, as no doubt, does everyone else. Even Christians get the blues, and sometimes we write about it. :lol:

heinzs
The Fat Cat

Post by heinzs » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:45 am

It is sometimes difficult to remove the poet from the poem, as it is to separate the author from the novel. Many times we concentrate on the content rather than the message, and at times we also play "the Devil's advocate" role in our writings. Poetry is the best medium I have found to express those aspects of my humanity that are ethereal and intangible... emotion and feeling. Sometimes I need to explore "the dark side" in order to better understand my journey into the light. Sometimes I even feel that the abyss has swallowed me whole and then poetry (and my innate faith) are what help me regain my footing to claw my way back onto the track. At other times our writings are literal rather than figurative, but always intriguing and attention-getting.

Keep up the good works, all of you! A healthy discussion is the best outcome of any post.

:thumbsup: :hello: :cool:

DarleneG
65 Roses

Post by DarleneG » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:32 pm

When you use "I" in a poem, that signals to me that you are speaking for yourself. Otherwise, shouldn't you give us some clue to the contrary> Now, I feel as if you just wanted to get a reaction out of us. And you certainly did! I don't know how the others feel. But it's like you led the reader astray. Personally, you will know me by my poems. And I think that is true for most of us here. If there was a "thumbs down" symbol, that's what I would put here.
**Member of the Month**
July 2012

audiofool
Blue Sea Poet

Post by audiofool » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:41 pm

What more can I say? Socrates said, "The unexamined life is not worth living." I would paraphrase it, "Unexamined belief is not worth defending."

True art needs no defense. Thanks.

heinzs
The Fat Cat

Post by heinzs » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:41 pm

Many works of fiction are written in first person narrative. We all know that the protagonist is not the author.

:mrgreen:

DarleneG
65 Roses

Post by DarleneG » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:52 pm

But at least we know we're reading fiction! :roll:
**Member of the Month**
July 2012

heinzs
The Fat Cat

Post by heinzs » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:03 pm

90% of all poetry is also fiction...

:thumbsup: :grin:

DarleneG
65 Roses

Post by DarleneG » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:08 pm

Round 2, :lol: , 90% really? :shock: I'll take your word for that, Heinz. But we are talking about this poem. When you first read it, did you think it was fiction? I didn't. And in explaining his poem, Audiofool, say, " If I'm saying anything, perhaps I'm challenging myself to stop seeing God as a ..." So he does not sound as if he is explaining his poem as fiction. He's talking about his feelings. And that was what he was expressing in this poem,( I think.) But who am I to say? You are the educated one, so I yield to you. Did you give my argument any points at all? Or am I terrible about debating? I'm surprised no one else joined in. Are they afraid of you? Now if you want to read fiction and fantasy, have you read my poem, "Winter" I published it now to give everyone a smile and to cool people off. Also, It was fun using that rolling eye symbol. I was just waiting for a chance to use it! Have a good evening, Heinz, I'm typing this while watching 60 min. on TV, just
now ending. :bow: :thewave:
**Member of the Month**
July 2012

heinzs
The Fat Cat

Post by heinzs » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:45 pm

lol...

That was a good 60 minutes program about the Navy Seals.

The key word in the quote is "if"...

Perhaps it's less than 90% of poetry that is fiction... I'm just judging by what is posted here.

Nah, no one is afraid of me... I don't bite.

Actually I gave you a lot of points, and continue to do so.

My job here is to try to create a balanced environment that can work for everyone... not an easy chore. I've found that poets tend to be a bit "flighty"... impulsive and insecure. At the tiniest imagined slight or hint of provocation they will up and delete everything they have posted and cower under the covers in their room. It takes a lot of coaxing and cajoling to get them to come back and start over, and some never do. I try to watch for the "signs"... but I'm not clairvoyant.

We are a truly diverse group of individuals here at the Poetry Pages. Politically we run the gamut from far right Republican to Anarchist. Theologically we range from dyed in the wool atheist to devout Catholic and every Eastern religion ever discovered, not to mention Pagan. Age-wise we are anywhere from 13 (our current youngest) to 86 (unless someone older is hiding in the woodwork somewhere). We are male, female and LGBT. We are independently able to severely physically and mentally disadvantaged. You name it, we have a member that matches that description. What unites us is Poetry and the fact that we are all HUMAN.

I doubt I'm saying anything you didn't already figure out... lol.

I'm glad to have you all aboard and I dearly love an animated discussion... :mrgreen: :cool:

audiofool
Blue Sea Poet

Post by audiofool » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:07 pm

When Johnny Cash sang, "I shot a man in Reno," how come he never did time in the pokey? "Dehlia's Gone," yes, but the Man In Black mysteriously escaped justice, despite his plaintive confession. Hmm... Seems these artist types can get away with murder.

Was Job a literal narrative account of an anguished soul or an allegorical ode prefiguring the sufferings of Christ or a literary archetype of all who suffer despite being dutiful, upstanding persons? I don't know, but I like the fact that as a reader I have options. To each his or her own. Thanks.

Return to “Seeking the Spiritual”